It's the most wonderful time of the year...(for mom!) Just kidding. I wasn't the only one excited for school this year. All three of my big kids started a countdown 41 days before school started. They couldn't wait!
My big boys started going to a new school this year, Mountain View Preparatory (MVP), which is an International Baccalaureate candidate school new to our district this year. I have been lucky enough to be involved in laying some of the groundwork the past eight months to get this new school up and running, including teacher interviews, writing school policies and having input on curriculum. It has been so neat to watch it all come together. The teachers are AWESOME, the curriculum is challenging, and they students will have the opportunity to learn not one, but two languages, starting in kindergarten. The most exciting concept (to me) is the way the students will be taught. They will be encouraged to inquire about what they are learning, rather than the old chug and plug method, and every concept they learn will be incorporated into each of the major disciplines; math, science, social studies, language arts, ect... I think Landon and Tristan will be challenged and engaged. What more can you hope for in school?
Landon is in second grade this year, and his teacher is Miss Ballard. He has quite a few of his friends in his class this year, so that was most exciting part of heading back to school to him. He is really quite academic, but his heart lies in the social aspect of school. When I dropped him off in his classroom, he was a bit trepidatious. That is not like him and it broke my heart when I had to leave, but he came home with a huge smile and a full report of the summer comings and goings, so I think he was able to overcome and conquer! So far, he has decided 2nd grade has more homework than 1st, and "way less recesses", but he still seems to enjoy himself. I am sure if he could change one thing, it would be spelling. Last year he only had 10 words, but this year he has about 20-and his first list included 'enthusiasm' and 'economy'. Spelling is the bane of Landon's existence, so this was a hard blow for him.
New this year-the ladies have taken an interest in Landon, and he has had to endure the 1st and 2nd grade girls chasing him at recess more than once. I think he secretly likes it though, because he doesn't complain with much zeal. I can't believe the whole girl/boy thing has started already.
Tristan started kindergarten this year. His teacher is Mr. Dix and his kindergarten aide is Mrs. Kleinman, who we know from church. He was so excited to go to a big boy school this year and ride the bus and eat in the cafeteria. Tristan is uber shy, so I have been worried (and worried) about how he would do when I had to leave him. All my worries were in vain though, because he ROCKED it!! I took him into his classroom and there was a penguin picture to color at his table. He sat down and asked me to stay so he could color a picture of me. He made a nice stick figure with blue pigtails and wrote "MOM" underneath it. Then he looked at me and said, "Okay, you can go." I hugged him and off I went. Will was in the hall, and asked how he did, and I just burst into tears. I think the first day of school was harder for me than it was for T-Bird! At least he didn't see me cry.
Tristan loves school so far. He is disappointed on the days that he doesn't have homework, and he is busy learning his sight words and repeating his Spanish lessons to anyone who will listen. He likes lunch and snack time, and his best little friend, Haleigh O'Donnal is in his class. Life is good for T-Bird.
Avery is attending to Flip City Gym N' Learn, the same preschool Tristan went to last year. She has been waiting for her turn to go to "Tristan's school" since last school year, so of the three kids, she was especially ready for school to start. Her teachers are Ms. Danielle and Mr. Jared. She gets to take her own snack everyday, so we got her a sparkly, princess lunchbox, which she LOVES. She feels like such a big girl taking her lunchbox to school on Tuesdays and Thursdays. She was a little shy on her first day, and she didn't want me to go at first. That only lasted a few minutes though, and then she was off and jumping on the trampoline.
When it was time to leave the house to pick her up, I couldn't find my keys. I always hang my keys up by the front door, but I had apparently left them in my back pocket and they had fallen in between the couch cushions when I sat down. I was frantically searching for them, thinking, "what kind of mom is late to pick up her kid on the first day of preschool???" I found them in just the nick of time, and made it to Avery's classroom one minute before I was supposed to be there. She didn't seem to notice that she was one of the last kids picked up, so I think I was off the hook.
I asked her how her day went, and she said "Umm, Mitchell hitted me." Apparently Mitchell, who went to Flip City last year, spent the morning trying to help "orient" Avery by doing things like, getting her chair, finding her name, showing her the bathroom, ect...Avery did not take kindly to his coddling, and finally told him that she was a big "grill" and didn't need his help. So he punched her. Avery's teacher was very apologetic, but I assured her that Avery was no worse for the wear. Mitchell and Avery's relationship has not improved much because he has both pinched and licked her since their first encounter. Avery has decided she is just going to stay away from Mitchell "because he is a mean boy". Ahh, the perils of preschool.
Also worth mentioning, despite my instructions NOT to take show and tell on the first day (they only do show and tell on their "special days"), Avery managed to sneak a Barbie into her backpack and insisted on telling the class all about it during snack time. Obviously encouraged by her success, she has attempted to take a show and tell every day since. So far, I have been able to intercept further contraband.
So there you have it-the lowdown on school so far this year. I am sure there will be many more mini dramas and antics to report in the coming months. Stay tuned.
10 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment