Yesterday we attended Stake Conference. It was awesome. Well, I think it was awesome. It sounded awesome from the hallway.
After we went, Will watched the kids (and prepared dinner-I know, lucky me!) so I could get out and go for a walk-all by myself! I lost track of time, and ended up walking for over an hour, but I got in some thinking time. I was pondering just why I go through the ritual of getting everyone ready and out the door each Sunday, only to find myself walking the hallway with one of my cherubs. For example, this conference, I made it through the opening song, and part way through the opening prayer, before I had to discreetly excuse myself with a very tired, very crabby, Avery. I spent the better part of an hour trying to get her to go to sleep amidst several other fussy babies and their frazzled mommas. She is very nosey, so she spent the time desperately trying to prop her eyelids open so she could get a gander at what everyone else was doing. Finally, she succumbed to exhaustion, and I took her back in to enjoy the remainder of the meeting. I heard about 5 minutes of someone's talk and a verse of an intermediate hymn, before Landon put his head on my lap and in the process squished his sleeping sister. Her eyes popped open and she sat up blinking. Tristan took this opportunity to throw a fit because Will would not let him jump on the comfy metal chair he was sitting on (metal chair should suggest to you that we arrived late and were seated in the overflow section). I handed Avery off to Will and stood to leave with Tristan. Heaven forbid I leave without her however, and she let out the requisite screech that allowed for her hasty exit as well. The three of us took up residence in the foyer, which by now contained not only babies and mommas, but toddles of varying ages. Tristan headed over, car in hand, to join "junior foyer primary" and played blissfully. Avery toddled around and showed off her new walking skills. I caught a few laughs from the inside, but the actual words were lost in the noise around me. At some point, Landon joined us (he had to go potty), and Tristan took his shoes and socks off and managed to cut the top of his toe. I cleaned up the blood, but not before he ruined his church slacks. We made it to the closing hymn, and through the loooong closing prayer (I wonder if prayers seem longer when you cannot hear them, and are just waiting for the amen so you can quit reminding your toddler to close his eyes for the prayer?) without further catastrophe.
Out of the two hour block, I think I got in about 15 minutes of actual listening time, but I walked away feeling surprisingly uplifted. I think, and I could be wrong, that Heavenly Father allows the Hallway Pacing Parents to learn through osmosis. We are spiritually fed by those around us who were actually able to hear the spoken words. I think we are blessed just for making the effort to attend. I know that I am teaching my children the importance of obedience. It would be easy to stay home, and I would have a great excuse, but I would miss out on so much. I am grateful for the gosple in my life. I cannot imagine a day without it.
6 comments:
Amen to learning by osmosis. I KNOW we are blessed for continuing to go to church regardless of our NON participation...even if it that our children remember going no matter what--so they continue going!
Amen! That is seriously how I felt yesterday. I did not get a darn thing out of Conference. I even just gave up and took the girls home early. After feeling very frustrated, looking at other families with a lot more kids that what I have, how could they all just sit the entire time? I really was thinking there was something wrong with me. I really appreciate your post!!!
O girl I feel your pain and frustration! Poor Ben tried to help Pais fix her tights during sacrament on SUnday and all the sudden at the TOP OF HER LUNGS she yells...STOP YOUR PULLING MY PANTIES UP MY BUM...yeah she yelled it about 5 times. I thought poor Ben was gonna die and then everyone looks right at us like haha. Kids...who needs them?
Tara, I would feel bad for you, but I had 7 of you... four of you who were very small. I can't say you weren't a lot of help, but as you know during these times, only "mama" will do. I remember one time going to church with the seven of you alone. After crawling over a pew full of people with 7 children in tow and settling everyone into their seats. You and Lindsi as far away from each other as possible, Heather sitting next to you, Jennifer on one side of me, Erin on the other & the twins sitting on my lap. No sooner had I settled everyone down, when one of your brothers started to scream, I stood up gave the other brother to you, who began to scream also for me, I grabbed him back, again climbing over everyone in the pew, meanwhile, Jennifer & Erin started howling, grabbing my dress... and me & my choo choo train left the chapel. Osmosis... yes... it must be osmosis. Love, Mom
good for you! You get points for going. We stayed home- for reasons you mentioned. (and Bryce was out of town)
Bless you for doing it! I know it's hard, but I think creating the habit is the important part right now. We'll get more out of it in a few years....and so will they! =)
Post a Comment