Saturday, October 18, 2008

Cheerleader and Goalie-All in One Game!


There are two coveted positions in soccer (according to the kids on Landon's team). Goalie and sitting on the sidelines as a cheerleader. They each get to sit out one quarter each game, and when the coach is trying to decide who the "lucky" players are for the quarter, they all jump up and down shouting "I'll sit out, coach!". Way to take one for the team, kids!

The position of goalie, however is only rotated each half, so just two players get a chance to do this each game. Today was Landon's turn, and he was ecstatic! Goalie and cheerleader all in one game! How much better can life get? He donned the requisite red-mesh shirt and took his place in the goal box. The ball pretty much stayed on the other side of the field, so Landon decided the back side of the goal was a cooler place to stand because you could peek through the net and watch the game. Luckily, I was able to trot down and suggest standing on the traditional side of the goal before the other team kicked the ball his way. He was only caught lying down on the job once, and talking to his defenders twice.

He didn't let any goals get by him, so his stint as goalie was considered a success. (Because I am a loyal Mama Bear, I will not disclose how many actual attempts were made on the goal.) Post game prodding revealed that he enjoyed being goalie because they get to touch the ball with their hands, but he likes to sit out best. His favorite part of the game? Snacks at the end. At least he's got his priorities straight.

2 comments:

TexasTwinsTwice said...

Oh he looks so cute!! We don't even have goalies here. I love the idea of the ones sitting out being the cheerleaders. I will have to try that! I always feel bad making someone take a turn sitting out.

The Sorensen Bunch said...

i LOVE Landon and his social cheering spirit. He is always totally 'in' if it is fun!!! Ahhh the soccer days have begun!